Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Study @ UC Davis

We heard about a study done by UC Davis that is tracking Alzheimer's patients over a 5-year period in an effort to follow the progression of the disease. There are lots of PET scans and MRI's and cognitive tests and so forth involved, and it looks as though my husband has been selected for the study.

We know there's nothing in it for us, necessarily, except that feel-good feeling that you get when you help other people. But, who knows? Hopefully, they'll find out something that's key to discovering a cure for this terrible mess of a disease.

Yesterday, they started all the preliminary stuff. Blood work, baseline this and that and the other, interview him, interview me, compare the interviews. Let's just say it was fairly dismal and bleak.

Psychologically, in fact, it was very stressful for me. I think this is because I'm being forced to face the music, so to speak. I don't think I've been in denial (not just a river in Egypt) at all, but I do expect a miracle. Just because nobody else does, doesn't mean I can't. Or shouldn't. Right?

I believe in miracles. I believe in hope. I don't believe in accepting something just because everybody else thinks I really ought to, or because the odds are extremely unfavorable. My mom used to tell me that I always do things the hard way and am very bull headed. Well, I guess this is one instance where that'll be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment