Thursday, January 4, 2018

An Ode to Sleep

Oh, Sleep! Oh, Sleep! What a gift you are from God!
You restore me physically;
You restore me emotionally;
You restore me mentally.
Without you, my sense of humor vanishes into thin air.
My body is a burden to me, and my breathing is painful.
My steps are halting, and my duties are overwhelming.
I know I am not equal to the task without you,
And I face my day with great trepidation
Knowing there will be no rest found in it for me.

Oh, Sleep! Oh, Sleep! What a gift you would be from God!
You elude me while he dozes;
I feel your onset, but he startles awake
And sits bolt upright on the edge of the bed, fidgeting.
You vaporize as he wanders around the room,
And I lie awake, ever vigilant, until he returns.
He requires coaxing to lie down as he sits in a daze, confused.
Finally, finally, his legs make it under the covers,
And he snores immediately, but only for a little while.
You elude me while he dozes and approach as he startles awake.

Oh, Sleep! Oh, Sleep! How I long for you! How I need you!
How pleasant it would be, what a gift it would be
If only you would arrive as quickly for me as you do for him,
And if only you would stay awhile so both of us can rest.
Ah, Sleep! There you are, like a cloud of vapor enveloping me
As I drift off into a dream, a stressful dream with no restoration;
A dream with no beginning, no resolution, just confusion.
Alas, Sleep! His footsteps approach and I cannot embrace you.
He stands over me to announce his presence, "Hello? Hello?"
Oh, Sleep! Please. I am not ready for another day without you.






No comments:

Post a Comment