Monday, January 29, 2018

Old Maid

A couple of weeks ago, I played UNO with the grandkids, and it was fun and easy. I thought I'd try a children's card game with my husband to pass the time, since I'm running out of creative ideas for keeping him occupied and interested.

I went all over town looking for an UNO game, but apparently they were sought-after stocking stuffers last Christmas. There were none to be found. So, I went through the kids' old rooms in search of something, anything, that would resemble it. I found an Old Maid card game. Thinking this was simple enough (match the cards), I gave it a go.

But he really couldn't figure out what he was supposed to do, and it ended up being an exercise in futility and frustration for me. Two days in a row. Two days that, actually, were very good days for him (and therefore for me). Two days when he was functioning at the top of his current game.

It might be hard for you to imagine someone not being able to match two pictures together, or two words together. I know it was hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that this simple children's card game is too hard for my husband, a man with degrees in computer science and electronics.

So, I'll keep looking for UNO. It might be easier. You just have to match colors or numbers. Wish me luck in finding it before the respite week is up and he returns home.

No comments:

Post a Comment