Sunday, April 22, 2018

Cooking for One

I went to the grocery store
By myself
The local grocery store
Not Costco
It felt weird being there
Alone

How do you shop for one?
How do you cook for one?
I have no idea
But I can't continue not eating
Just snacking
If that

I picked up a bag of apples
But I didn't need a whole bag
I just needed one apple
Or maybe two
So I put the bag back
I didn't want apples anyway
So I took a mango
And added another

I foraged aimlessly
Here and there
Picking things up
Reading the labels
Putting them back
Filling the produce bags
Remembering
Then emptying half

Back at the house
I unpacked the bags quickly
Then stared at the food
Aghast at the abundance
Will it rot in the fridge?
That's okay
I'm in a daze
And on a learning curve

Figuring out
A new way to live
Alone




7 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this day. It's not hardly like when the kids are gone... I hope you are able to find a balance between visiting your sweetie, and having meals out with friends... take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely isn't like empty nesting at all. With empty nesting, you have an opportunity to rediscover being together, just the two of you. With this, it's more like hanging on by your fingernails desperately and having them break off. One by one. Slowly. As you hang over a precipice. Perhaps I'm being overly dramatic, but it's a dramatic thing. Give your sweetie a hug from me!

      Delete
    2. Chris, I do a lot of shopping at Trader Joe's, you can buy single items.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the tip, Jan! We don't have a Trader Joe's closeby, but I'll check that out next time I'm in the vicinity.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mrs. Hampton, it's Jen (Min) and I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you and I am thinking of and praying for you ! I can't imagine how hard it is... I have an inkling of an idea with my dad being gone and adjusting to that (and seeing my mom try to adjust) and it is heartbreaking...yet the Lord provides just the grace you need to get through each moment (even though it doesn't always feel like it). But thank you so much for sharing so vulnerably. Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you so much, Jen. I know it's got to be so hard to adjust to your dad's passing! I think of you girls and your mom often and hold you close to my heart. Blessings to you! Thank you for your encouraging words.

      Delete