Monday, August 12, 2019

Sing a Song for Me

In spite of all the negative experiences this disease affords, every once in a while, there's still a ray of sunshine.

My husband was taking a nap on his bed when I arrived today, which isn't all that unusual. I checked his closet for misplaced or missing items, then sat by him as he slept peacefully. When he awoke, I greeted him with my usual smile and kiss(es). He seemed in no hurry to get up, so I prattled away about this and that, sang a few tunes, and was checking more song lyrics online when who should appear? The music therapist! Perfect timing.

I wish you could have seen how my husband responded to the singing and guitar strumming today. It no doubt would have warmed your heart as it did mine, and you might even have been a bit teary-eyed, too.

He was all smiles and even "sang along" with a "word" and even an understandable word here and there, moving his shoulders, occasionally closing his eyes tightly and pursing his lips as he used to do when "feeling" a tune, obviously and undeniably enjoying what can only be described as a joyous, lighthearted, captivating experience for him. It was uplifting and gratifying for me (and for the therapist), as well.

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate this music therapist. Not only is he a talented musician and vocalist, but he goes out of his way to learn the songs that will be pleasing to a man of my husband's generation and situation.

I've said this before, and it certainly appears to be true time and again so far:  Music is transcendent. It's magic. It's miraculous. It reaches back to long-forgotten times and places and emotions, and -- at least for a moment -- fires up the imagination to connect with the spirit. If you have a loved one in hospice care, be sure to request music therapy. In a world where I don't imagine there are very many pleasures remaining, this one is not to be missed.

I didn't manage to capture the beatific smiles and engaging eye contact,
but believe me when I tell you he was having a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment