Wednesday, April 7, 2021

The Land of the Living

Dearest,

Yesterday, I visited the magnificent nursery at a lavender farm with our daughter to seek out some plants for her garden. They offered a mind-boggling variety of herbs and kitchen garden starts, the best I've seen anywhere, as well as a multitude of other unusual plants, edible and not, for the beautification of tables and homes. One of my favorite things about this farm's nursery was the opportunity to meander through the owners' established gardens, with water features and benches and expert arrangements of mature plants. What fodder for the imagination!

My favorite spot, which we walked through on our way out, was their herb garden. I've never seen such a lovely one, with meandering paths and huge plants (who knew they got that big?!) and delightful fragrances and happy bees. It was so peaceful, exactly what I had in mind when I planted our sorely-neglected patch in the back of the property.

Inspired, I spent a good part of the afternoon pruning and trimming the overgrown plants and shrubs -- now trees, let's face it -- in our sad, abandoned garden. I haven't finished and, of course, the process must be ongoing. But there are three large piles of debris to discard, bit by bit, in the solitary "green" bin that's picked up every other week. There will be more, much more.

In spite of the sore muscles today -- which, can I just say, feel much better than sore joints -- it was refreshing and rejuvenating. It was also much easier emotionally than sorting through and packing up your things, your numerous (and never-ending) collections, your...garage. Goodness, the garage! Don't get me started.

Anyway, spring has sprung and, with it, a tiny, tiny flicker of life. A glowing ember of hope. A small-but-growing sense of the presence of God and His purpose for my life now, in the land of the living. I may, in fact, survive.

Love you forever,

Me

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. I love looking at garden things and getting ideas that never happen. I’ve got lot to do to, just like you, green waste every other week. You will survive and the memories will be for ever. Have a Blesses day my friend sore muscles and all. 🙏🏻❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment! It doesn't really matter whether or not the ideas come to fruition. The important thing, I think, is the inspiration of the moment and how it can transform your outlook. My garden will not ever look like that one. For one thing, their space is much more expansive. And flat. There's hope, though, that the glowing ember can yet again become a flame. I must still be here for a reason! Blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. Wow Christ great post, I don't have a garden but you make it sound so lovely. Keep up the good work one patch at a time right!!! Love & hugs, Linda & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, a great post Chris! My husband was a collector as well, and now, 10 years later, I'm down to unloading the final collection (antique/collectable Christmas)...going to have a Christmas in July sale, lol...and I continue to work on the yard/garden, that was his strong suit and I struggle to make it look half as good or productive lol...Spring has sprung, and with it the promise of a blessed year! Hugs!❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, with all my heart, I thought I had responded to your comment. But it would appear that I hadn't, and, for that, I apologize most sincerely! Two years on from this post, I am still in the process of "going through things" and "getting rid of things." It will probably take the rest of my life to complete the project. What size shoe do you wear? Want some practically new western boots? LOL!

      Delete
  4. Neither of us may ever have a garden that looks like theirs, but it can feel just as good to sit in the middle of

    ReplyDelete