Wednesday, December 26, 2018

A Christmas Miracle

Last Saturday morning, my husband had a seizure. Actually, he had another seizure. They don't happen often, but they do seem to always happen on a Saturday. I haven't figured that one out yet. Every time the phone rings now, I answer it with dread. Anyhow, his medications were reviewed, adjusted, and a new medication added. I don't know if the meds had anything to do with it, or if it was ardent prayer, or what, but what we've witnessed the past couple of days is a Christmas miracle!

He gave me a hug!
On Christmas Day, our eldest son and I went out for a visit to the facility together. We expected that my husband would be roaming around aimlessly, barely acknowledging our presence, and perhaps even sleeping intermittently. Like last time. Instead, he was animated (for him at this point) and obviously excited to see us. He was all smiles, reaching for my hand, reaching for our son's hand, drawing us close and sighing with satisfaction. I think he definitely knew who I was, and I'm sure he also recognized our son. He even responded to our questions and comments with a word or two. We were both absolutely thrilled!

The following day, my husband's sister (or, as she says, "his MUCH older sister") called to ask if it would be okay to visit my husband with her daughter. Of course it would! I had been at the facility for a while, doing hugely successful music therapy with lots of smiles and even dancing, when they arrived. The last time his sister visited, not that long ago, she cried when she left because my husband looked so poorly and seemed so weak. It hurt her heart. But this time, there he was smiling at her and smiling at her daughter, holding her hand, responding to her words and touch. And not just because she brought Christmas cookies, either. It was wonderful and so unexpected. Two good days in a row. Two extremely good days, two miraculous days.

Dear reader, I am well aware that the next visit might not be as fabulous, or that I might at any moment get another dreaded phone call about my husband's condition. But on this, the First Day of Christmas, I am deeply grateful for this Christmas miracle.

13 comments:

  1. So wonderful. What a Christmas gift to you and your family. (Christine Williams)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you allthat you had these special moments. A Christmas Blessing to be treasured. Have you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to refill the tank! That has to be so encouraging. So glad you could be there for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very encouraging indeed, Michael! Moments to cherish for sure. Hug your bride for me!

      Delete
  4. Hold on as long as you can, he's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! These special moments fill my heart to overflowing. Just wonderful!

      Delete
  5. Christine i am always amazed at your strength even in times you say you are at your weakest. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Michael! We both know where that strength comes from. He is my Refuge and my Strength, my ever-present Help in times of trouble. Blessings to you in your ministry!

      Delete
  6. So glad you got your Christmas miracle

    ReplyDelete