Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Stars Aligned

Look! Our hair color matches!

What a roller-coaster ride this disease is. One day your world is crashing in around you, and the next day everything is coming up roses. Well, sort of. Comparatively speaking.

Every once in a while, everything is about as perfect as it can be. What a great visit we had today!

When I arrived this afternoon, it was obvious he'd had a shower and a shave. The color of his shirt brightened his skin. His hair -- clean and fluffy -- looked great. I'd given him a  haircut and trimmed his mustache a couple of days ago, and I couldn't help but admire my work (it wasn't an easy task). Not only that, but the caregiver had taken special pains to include some after shave. He smelled amazing. No, they didn't know I was coming.

He isn't making as much eye contact lately, but he did look at me today. He responded to tender touch and sat still for a chair massage. And he even leaned in for some kisses, rested his head on my shoulder, took my hand, and sort of smiled at me occasionally. In short, it's entirely possible that he knew me, even though he didn't speak. In any case, he liked being with me. And that's almost as good.

A day like today makes up for a lot of not-so-good days, even if it's the only day like today for a while. My heart is full!

4 comments:

  1. A lovely tender story Christiane. May you continue to have a full heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Donal! Hugs to you and your beloved.

      Delete
  2. It's the once in awhile days like this that almost make some of the others insignificant. You just have to keep these special ones especially close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete