Thursday, October 10, 2019

The Gross Banana

Lately, unless there's a trauma of some kind, it seems as though one day blends into the next, and time passes by almost imperceptibly. Has it been a week since a notable event? A month? It's a blur. You think you're going to remember milestones in the disease's progress, but sometimes you don't notice they've occurred until later. If a milestone happens suddenly, you take note. But it doesn't always happen that way. Sometimes, abilities disappear slowly over time. Then they're gone, and you wonder how and when they left.
.
For instance, now that my husband is basically non-verbal, I've been trying to remember when it was, exactly, that he stopped talking. A year? A year and a half? He still says a word or two now and then, but many of our hours-long visits end without his uttering a single syllable, let alone a string of them together.

2 years ago this week
First day of our last cruise together.
Yes, I was certifiable.
This morning, a post that seemed humorous at the time appeared in my "Facebook memories." It was from two years ago today, October 10, 2017. The post reads like this:

"Yuck, this banana tastes gross!" [him] "That's because it's plantain..." [me]

He had seen the "banana" on the counter, peeled it, and taken a bite. If you've ever taken a bite of raw plantain, I'm sure you'll agree that it isn't the sweetest "banana" you've ever tasted. It's more like a raw potato. But once it's made into tostones, it's delicious! I digress.

When I posted that, it was meant to demonstrate a hilarious, "fun with Alzheimer's," part of daily living with him. In retrospect, though, it's a poignant reminder that, just two years ago, he was wandering around our home, peeling his own "bananas," and able to verbalize a complaint in a complete sentence. He was feeding himself, using the restroom, dressing himself (sometimes comically, but still), going places with me, and doing things.

You may have noticed that I seem a little melancholy these days. That's because I am. My emotions, normally packaged rather neatly in a nice box with a beautiful ribbon, are causing an itchy turmoil just under the surface. And sometimes, when I sing to him or chat with him or read to him or simply think about him and of days gone by, I suddenly notice that my feelings have managed to escape and are overflowing out of my eyes and down my cheeks. I think that's okay. It has to be, because there's really nothing I can do about it.

2 years ago this week
Leaving San Francisco on our last cruise together.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve read along for months now, but have never commented, I don’t think. I’m loosely acquainted with your daughter online. Anyway, this post really hit me, somehow. And my emotions are near to flowing down my cheeks, too. I have always been “emotional”. Your box analogy rang for me. I have nice neat boxes, but mine are jack in the boxes... and the triggers to pop them open are hair triggers. ;-)

    I have wanted to tell you that your story, your writing, is beautiful and genuine and I feel God near when I read. I have been praying for you, your husband, and your family for a while. And I’ll continue. I don’t know what is in store for you all, but I hope you don’t stop writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now my emotions are flowing down my cheeks again, but in a good way. Thank you so, so much for your encouraging words. It means much to know others are lifting us up in prayer. The thing I've noticed about jack-in-the-boxes is that you never know when that hair trigger is going to cause the box to spring open, startlingly, jarring your breath away. Thank you for that image, because that is exactly what it feels like when the emotions decide to surface. Thanks again, Victoria. You have lifted my spirits.

      Delete