Thursday, March 21, 2019

Dock of the Bay

Because my husband responds to music, "official" music therapy has been added by the hospice provider. The young man visits various residents, strumming his guitar and singing the tunes of their era. He has a strong, clear voice, and his playing is very good, too. All the residents enjoy listening to him and singing along, so it benefits everyone, really.

Yesterday, I happened to be present when the musician came to sing and play for my husband. Previous sessions hadn't gone too well, which is surprising, so I was glad to be there to observe and make suggestions. My husband likes to get up suddenly and wander a bit, which made the therapist think he wasn't interested in the music. That's not true, of course, so I just suggested that when that happens, he could just be a troubadour and follow my husband around. It worked perfectly. The little egg-shaped shaker things, though, not so much. My husband secreted his away in his pocket, but I'm just as sneaky as he is and was able to retrieve it without conflict. Whew.

At one point, my husband had decided to sit down on the couch for a bit. I sat next to him, and the therapist began playing "Dock of the Bay." My husband was nodding his head and tapping his foot, making warbling attempts at singing along to this long-time favorite. Then came the last part of the song.

"Here comes the whistling part," I whispered in his ear, smiling.

And guess what happened next? As the therapist began whistling, my husband whistled along, too! He even trilled some of the "notes." This was so wholly unexpected, so delightful. Everyone in the room started clapping and cheering, "Way to go!"

I just cried. I think that's okay.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cried. Music is such a gift from God. My granddaughter's father is an accomplished musician , sings and plays guitar beautifully and he always says that music will get you through the dark days with the help of God. I think you were a witness to that fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Judy! Some reading I've done would indicate that music in some way bypasses the ravages of Alzheimer's to the brain. Perhaps this is because music involves active thought, passive thought, emotions, physical response, and evokes memories. It really is a gift and a blessing. Thank you for responding to my post. Hugs to you!

      Delete